If you have been a reader of this column for a number of years or since the beginning in April of 2011, you know from my biographical line at the end that I am with One Master Ministries.
One Master Ministries is based on the scripture, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and wealth.” (Matthew 6:24)
This passage of scripture indicates there is a great competition going on between the world and the lordship of Christ. Materialism and the insatiable desire for more can often keep people from completely turning over their entire lives to God.
Author Randy Alcorn said, “Once we allow money to have lordship over our lives, it becomes a god that jealously dethrones all else.” The love of money will unmercifully take the reigns of a life moderately devoted to Christ. The old saying, “Give an inch and he’ll take a mile” is true in this case.
Financial pressures are significantly impacting families.
1. Finances is a key reason cited for many divorces. Money-related issues are not always the root cause but they can bring them to the surface.
2. Over indulgent lifestyles lead to ever-mounting debt. The more we spend without regard to what we really have, the more likely we are eventually to get into financial trouble.
3. Dissatisfaction in career choices impact home life. Millions of people are in careers they don’t want to be in because of financial choices they have made in the past.
4. Couples argue over money almost more than any other topic. When couples come into a marriage with different financial backgrounds, it can cause a great amount of tension in the marriage.
5. Children are casualties in the war of words over money-related topics. Who often gets hurt the most when it comes to money-related issues in the home? Kids.
The financial pressures facing people today creates a need for a focus in this area. With so much despair, there is good news. As more and more people experience these challenges, they are turning to Christ for answers. One Master Ministries was established in 2010 to meet people with spiritual and practical home that can only come from God. We exist to be used by God to help people make Jesus their one master in every area of life.
Jesus Christ wants to be Master in our relationship with Him, in our marriage relationships, in our parenting and in every relationship we are involved. He cares about each and every one!
How do we deliver this message? In our next segment, I will share how One Master Ministries meets these vital needs.
William “Carey” Northington of One Master Ministries in Xenia may be contacted at www.OneMaster.org.