Last updated: July 21. 2014 11:48PM - 443 Views
By - shalasz@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

XENIA — An early morning fire Sunday caused $30,000 in damage and took the lives of two family pets.

Xenia fire crews were called to a home in the 2300 block of Pembury Drive shortly after 2 a.m. and needed mutual aid from Beavercreek and Xenia Township to douse the fire, which started in the kitchen.

One of the residents put grease on the stove to cook with and forgot about it, Xenia Fire Chief Ken Riggsby.

“It pretty much gutted everything but the bedrooms in the house,” he said. “There was extensive damage.”

Riggsby said two dogs were killed. There were no injuries reported to any of the five occupants.

The fire was ruled accidental and Riggsby gave some advice about cooking.

“You should never cook anything on the stove without it being attended,” he said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Xenia Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com