Greene County News Report
GREENE COUNTY — Several local ceremonies will commemorate the 14th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks which killed more than 3,000 people at the World Trade Center in New York City, at the Pentagon near Washington, D.C., and in a Pennsylvania field.
Community ceremonies include:
– Beavercreek — 6:30 p.m. at the 9/11 Memorial on North Fairfield Road.
– Bellbrook — 8:30 a.m. at the high school, 3737 Upper Bellbrook Road.
– Fairborn — 8:30 a.m. on the front lawn of the National Center for Medical Readiness (Calamityville), 506 W. Xenia Dr.
– Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — “Run for the Fallen.” Participants gather 8 a.m. at the National Museum of United States Air Force; run/walk commences 8:46 a.m., and will cover Area B by Loop Road and the flight line of the museum.
– Xenia — City flags will be lowered to half mast, according to city officials. City council planned a moment of silence at Thursday night’s council meeting as well.
– Yellow Springs — During the Second Annual Yellow Springs 9/11 Stair Climb, individuals will climb the equivalent of the 110 stories of the World Trade Center. Check in begins 8 a.m., the ceremony takes place 9 a.m. and the stair climb starts 9:15 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 26 at Antioch College in the historic Antioch Hall. Registration costs $35 and includes a lunch, snack and T-shirt. Visit ysstairclimb.com.
Greene County News Report compiled by Nathan Piling, Scott Halasz and Whitney Vickers.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU