Home Uncategorized Hot ashes ignited fire

Hot ashes ignited fire


Photo courtesy WDTN Hot ashes are to blame for this Sugarcreek Township fire.

Greene County News Report

SUGARCREEK TOWNSHIP — Hot ashes from a smoker are to blame for a May 31 fire that destroyed a Sugarcreek Township home.

According to a WDTN report, fire investigators said ashes were put into a plastic trash bag and placed along the back wall of the garage at a home in the 4300 block of Willow Creek Drive. It sparked a fire that quickly spread to the roof because of high winds.

The family that lived there got out safely along with their pets. The home’s value is $615,000 according to county records. The contents damage estimate is $450,000.

The family told WDTN they will re-build their home.